Wednesday, January 4, 2012

My Old PC vs. My New Laptop

vs.


Facts
Acer Desktop was bought in 2004. The specs are considered pretty moderate at that particular time. However, it is worth more than RM2k. By now, it would be possible for me to purchase a medium range system with that amount of money. The processor is Pentium 4, which is considered to be quite alright at that particular time. The rest of the hardwares are quite basic. It runs on Windows XP.

At the moment, I have upgraded most of the hardware in order to enable me to work with the latest application softwares. I have upgraded the RAM to the max (I will put extra slots for the RAM if possible) and even installed optional graphic card as I do lots of photo editing.

vs.

HP Compaq Laptop was bought in 2010. The specs are considered at the medium range. It is worth only RM2k. The processor is Core 2 Duo as most of the typical 13” laptop would utilize the Core 2 Duo processor rather than the processor from the i5/i7 family. I purposely bought the 13”, taking into consideration that it would be less bulky and easier to be carried around. It runs on Windows 7 Basic.

It works well with most of the latest application softwares. I have upgraded the RAM to 3GB. I did most of my photos editing and blog publishing with it.

Reviews
My desktop performed well when I first purchased it. I have been using it for many years without any major problems. However, recently the desktop began to create problems. It often restarts on its own without warnings. The displayed info stated that the present system is no more valid and totally corrupted. Luckily, I have my laptop as my backup. Now, I seldom used my desktop. Hence, I believe that I need to purchase a new desktop. The old desktop has to go. I will send it to Bali as an incentive for the retirement and great services throughout the years.

Conclusions
Do not purchase a high end system if you planned to purchase a new PC as the system change rapidly. Purchase on the system with moderate specifications as it often sold at a moderate price. You can always upgrade to a new system someday without regretting your earlier decision in purchasing an expensive system.

Make researches before making decision. Decide wisely.

2 comments: